Office of Communications
Reporting to the Director of Creative Strategy, the Senior Designer guides the college broadly on matters of design and provides design services for various college clients. The Senior Designer is part of the creative strategy team within the Williams College Office of Communications. Williams is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty and staff.
Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion. This multifaceted position requires the ability to understand the complex audiences of a liberal arts college (including potential students, current students, faculty, staff, parents, families, and alumni); to develop strategies for communicating effectively with these audiences through design, both print and digital; and to create designs that are visually compelling, effective, and meaningful to these diverse audiences.
The successful candidate will demonstrate flexibility, innovation, and an interest in continued professional growth and learning; evidence of successful project management; and the ability to establish strong, positive relationships with all members of the campus community through excellent oral and written communication skills. The high volume and broad scope of work associated with this position also require a person who is able to focus on a specific creative endeavor while managing multiple projects.
Primary responsibilities include:
- In collaboration with the creative strategy team, develop and implement comprehensive communications strategies and deliver print and electronic materials
- In collaboration with the Director of Creative Strategy, build and maintain a consistent visual identity for the college informed by an understanding of the college and its diverse audiences
- Provide professional graphic design for the college's print and electronic communications
- Provide aesthetic guidance and consultation to a diverse array of internal constituents
- Collaborate with the office's web team on matters of web design, providing design direction on custom design of Wordpress templates, individual microsites, and, over time, the look of the college's entire web presence
- On occasion, oversee the work of and provide guidance to freelance designers
- Communicate with outside vendors to assure quality and maintain deadlines. Research new vendors when appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree in design or a related field
- A minimum of five years of experience in graphic design—print, electronic, and environmental—preferably in a team-based environment
- Knowledge of design trends and best practices
- The ability to innovate and take risks to produce designs that are current and timely.
- A passion for detail, including typography
- A track record of compelling graphic design. Applicants will be asked to submit a design portfolio to demonstrate required skills and abilities.
- Ability to work in a complex institutional environment that is fast paced, deadline driven, and collaborative
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong ability to communicate and present designs effectively, including client pitches, as well as to welcome feedback and incorporate requested changes as projects evolve
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work with a variety of people
- Strong project management skills; ability to see projects through from design concept to end product
- Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign and Photoshop, using a Mac platform
- Experience preparing specifications; identifying, selecting, and coordinating with printers, fabricators, and other outside vendors; production and on-press experience
- Experience in higher education preferred.
Review of resumes will continue until the position is filled. Employment at Williams is contingent on the verification of background information submitted by the applicant, including the completion of a criminal record check, and education when applicable. To apply for this position, please visit http://employment.williams.edu/staff/. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at (413) 597-4247 or email at email@example.com. Beyond meeting fully its legal obligations for non-discrimination, Williams College is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn and thrive.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/fsbvfzzgn8s99ykf
- URL: http://www.Click2Apply.net/fsbvfzzgn8s99ykf
- Location: Williamstown, Massachusetts, United States, 01267
- Starts On: March 27, 2018, 5:13 p.m.
Williamstown Massachusetts 01267
United States of America
Phone: (413) 597-4247
- Contact Method: