UCDA Design Competition
Creating interesting work for audiences that span generations, cultures, and personalities can be a challenge. Creating that work with those who have different skill sets and goals can make it feel almost impossible. But, if we can bring together the individually beautiful elements, we can produce a shimmering masterpiece.
The UCDA Design Competition recognizes the best of the exceptional design work done by communication professionals to promote educational institutions (secondary, vocational, or higher education) and supports the exchange of ideas and information relating to the unique role of these designers.
Winning entries will be part of the UCDA Design Show on display during the 48th annual UCDA Design Conference. The conference provides you an opportunity to get an in-depth look at the issues facing designers and communication professionals, both in and out of educational institutions, and gain inspiration for better collaboration. Scheduled for September 29-October 2, 2018, in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- 2018 Competition Judges
- Past Competition Judges
- Past Competition Winners
- UCDA Design Collection
- Peer-reviewed by judges who understand the environments in which you create
- In-house categories
- No hanging fees
- Lower entry fees for those who enter early
- Lower entry fees for UCDA members
- One entry fee for single or series entries
- Easier online entry process.
REGISTRATION AND ENTRY PROCESS
You asked. We listened. You will now able to register and complete your entry form and entry details online, along with uploading of your digital images and payment. For those not wanting to enter online, UCDA is still offering the entry forms as PDF that can be downloaded and printed and mailed along with your entries.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Entries may be submitted by any institution, company, or individual involved in the creation or production of the work.
- You do not need to be a member of UCDA to enter (although members receive discounted entry fees)
- Non-members will have the option to join UCDA and take advantage of reduce entry fees when entering.
WHAT IS ELIGIBLE?
- Any work designed, published, created, or used by an educational institution is eligible (not limited to higher education).
- See categories. Work must have been published for the first time between June 1, 2017 and May 30, 2018.
WHO IS JUDGING YOUR WORK
- We’ve assembled panels of judges composed of designers and design educators working in or doing a significant portion of their work for educational institutions.
- Your work will be peer-reviewed by others who understand the environments in which you create.
WHAT ARE THEY LOOKING FOR?
- Print entries will be judged for excellence in concept, design, illustration, typography, printing, and message as well as effectiveness and creativity in solving the problems inherent in institutional design.
- Digital entries will be judged for appearance, flexibility, interactivity, message, and suitability for their intended audience.
ENTRY DEADLINES AND FEES
If you are uncertain about membership status, please call the UCDA Home Office at 615-459-4559 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Non-members may join UCDA and be eligible for member entry fees.
AFTER YOU ENTER
- Winners will be notified by July 31, 2018
- Winners will be required to send in a duplicate copy of their winning entry
- Winners receive Awards of Excellence, Silver, or Gold
- Presentation of awards will be at the UCDA Design Conference
- Winning entries become part of the UCDA Design Collection
WHAT DO YOU GET IF YOU WIN?
- An award certificate to display proudly
- Higher visibility for you, your department, institution, or company
- A great marketing opportunity to promote your services to colleagues, clients, or the media
- The admiration and respect of supervisors, peers, friends, and co-workers
Dale Cochran, Competition Chair
Amanda Earnest-Reitmann, Competition Co-Chair
About membership or online entry procedure:
Tadson Bussey, Executive Director
Chris Klonowski, Assistant Director
Submission of entries to the UCDA Design Competition acknowledges the right of the University & College Designers Association to use them for exhibition, publication, and publicity for the purpose of promoting and advertising this and future competitions and/or for promoting UCDA members' work. Entrants agree to hold UCDA harmless of any claims that may be made against it by reason of such reproductions. Securing releases is the sole responsibility of the entrant. Entries become the property of the UCDA and cannot be returned. UCDA takes no responsibility for determining official authorship or ownership of websites or digital entries. The judges will review all pieces submitted to the competition, and the final number of pieces accepted into the show will be at their discretion. The judges may re-categorize entries; if so, there will be no adjustment of entry fees. Decision of the judges on entries accepted and the level of awards are final.