Assistant Professor Communication Design
The Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD) is seeking qualified candidates for two Assistant Professor positions—one with a Technology focus and one with an Applied Design focus—to teach in the Communication Design area in its Bachelor of Fine Arts program. The college is looking for outstanding educators and leaders who can teach 21st century design and help create a curriculum that prepares students to be pioneering design thinkers and practitioners.
Teaching at MIAD is learning-centered and student-focused. It requires a clear commitment to working closely with undergraduate art and design students by integrating studio learning, critical discourse, exhibition of work and writing. These two positions will begin in the fall of 2018. Teaching duties are nine (9) credit hours of studio-based courses for two semesters per year as well as academic advising and committee involvement. We are looking for those candidates who will foster program excellence, develop curriculum, and advance the interests of the Communication Design area.
Candidates with the following qualifications will be considered:
• MFA in Communication Design or related course of study or at least 7 years of professional experience working as a professional designer.
• Strong record of professional design practice.
• A minimum of 2 years teaching Communication Design or related field at the college level.
• Documented experience with course development.
• Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite.
• Experience with print and digital production techniques.
• Ability to teach at all levels of curriculum from freshman- to senior-level.
• Evidence of working successfully in collaborative team approach to teaching.
• Understanding of, and support for, a consistently delivered curriculum.
Additional qualifications specific to one of the following:
• TECHNOLOGY: Experience with teaching UI/UX and human-centered design, web design, design for mobile and other digital technologies including virtual and/or augmented reality.
• APPLIED DESIGN: Significant background in, and experience with, teaching advertising design, brand/identity design and packaging design.
Competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. MIAD offers an attractive benefits package, including a TIAA retirement plan underwritten by the institution. Application: Qualified applicants should submit: a letter of interest indicating your interest in teaching Communication Design at MIAD, being specific to note your interest in the TECHNOLOGY or APPLIED DESIGN position; a curriculum vitae; three (3) references for teaching and professional work; twenty (20) examples of their pro-fessional work; twenty (20) examples of their students’ work, and a statement of teaching philosophy that addresses what a designer looks like in our rapidly evolving media culture and how the candidate’s teaching prepares students for success.
All Applications must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
All components must be included in a single PDF document. Please title your document as follows: “CDSearches.yourlastname.pdf”
Deadline for receiving applications is February 2, 2018.
Telephone inquiries will not be accepted.
Visit our website: www.miad.edu
MIAD recognizes the importance of diversity in all aspects including race and sexual orientation and strives to create balance and opportunity for all during the hiring process.
- Location: Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD)
Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD)