Senior Design Specialist - Krannert Center for the Performing Arts (A1700784)
Krannert Center for the Performing Arts at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks a Senior Design Specialist to join our Creative Services Studio. Krannert Center stands as the country’s premier university-based performing arts complex, unique in both scale and mission, covering two city blocks that encompass a 300,000 square-foot, five-theatre, multi-constituency, state-of-the art facility dedicated to the advancement of education, research, and public engagement through the pursuit of excellence and innovation in the performing arts.
Primary Position Function/Summary:
Create and manage communication materials to support the mission and vision of Krannert Center. As part of a creative team, conceptualize and execute high-impact designs for a broad range of audiences, including Krannert Center patrons, prospective and enrolled students, corporate and patron sponsors, resident academic units, the College of Fine and Applied Arts, and the university at large.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop creative concepts and executions of assigned design projects with Creative Director, Media/Communications Specialist, and Copywriter.
- Design and implement creative marketing strategies for a broad range of audiences including Krannert Center patrons, prospective and enrolled students, corporate and patron sponsors, resident academic units, the College of Fine and Applied Arts, and the university at large.
- Layout and design communications materials such as single and multi-page brochures, publications, large-scale environmental signage, and advertisements for traditional print media, web, and digital signage.
- Oversee schedule and creation of weekly HTML emails working in multiple templates.
- Assist in the creation, collection, and posting of image and video content for the web.
- Catalog file assets, managing file versions and naming conventions.
- Prepare, manipulate, and color-correct photos.
- Obtain print bids and estimates according to university policy and procedures.
- Consult with commercial printers regarding format and print processes.
- Contribute to and work within the project management software used by the team for maximum organization and efficiency.
- Assist in the management of workflow processes for the Media/Communications Specialist and Program Editors through the creation of schedules and periodic follow-up.
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of various templates for the Media/Communications Specialist and Program Editors to maintain.
- Schedule, assign, and track status of tasks given to the Media/Communications Specialist and Program Editors on specific projects under the supervision of the Creative Director.
- Ensure projects’ compliance with campus and Krannert Center identity and branding standards and policies.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- At least three years of professional experience in graphic design and marketing/communications.
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe InDesign with a thorough knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, including Illustrator and Photoshop on a Mac platform.
- Background in graphic design principles and production methods with a strong aesthetic judgment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Thorough understanding of layouts, design fundamentals, branding, conceptualizing, photography, typography, and print techniques.
- Professional, flexible, and respectful in all work with colleagues and clients.
- Highly collaborative; works well as part of a team, with a variety of people.
- Ability to articulate design decisions via a creative brief.
- Self-motivated, well-organized, and deadline-driven, as day-to-day work requires the ability to coordinate multiple projects.
- Good eye for detail.
- Ability to work within a budget.
- Ability to acquire new print and emerging media skills to create and modify materials.
- Commitment to staying current with design trends.
- Independent judgment and able to help resolve problems as they arise, dealing with time pressures and changing or conflicting priorities.
- Design in graphic design or a communications-related discipline.
- Advanced experience in print with developed typography skills.
- Familiarity with front-end web design and development, including proficiency in related programs (Sketch, Dreamweaver, Sublime) and related coding languages (HTML, CSS).
- Familiarity with website content management systems.
- A background in photography, web, illustration, and/or video.
To ensure full consideration, please create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, a total of three to five examples of design work, a packaged InDesign sample, and the names/contact information for three professional references by January 16, 2018. When providing a packaged InDesign sample, please include a multi-paged InDesign file utilizing character styles, paragraph styles, and master pages along with the font files and one or two linked images. For further information about application procedures, please contact Maureen Reagan at email@example.com.
This is a 12-month, full-time, benefits eligible position. The salary is commensurate with experience. The proposed start date for this position is February 1, 2018 or soon as possible. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
- URL: https://jobs.illinois.edu/search-jobs/job-details?jobID=88486&job=senior-design-specialist-krannert-center-for-the-performing-arts-a1700784
- Starts On: Feb. 1, 2018, 9 a.m.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign